. Read this text about the problem of Barclays Bank.
The New Look
When Sir John Quinton, then chairman of Barclays Bank, was given his marching orders last April, Britain's biggest bank thought it had found the scapegoat for its sudden fall from grace and profits ,Andrew Buxton, the bank's managing director and an offspring of its founding families ,was a pointed chairman and chief executive ,with effect from January 1st of next year. It seemed a glorious victory for good business management. Is the problem solve do Certainly not.
1. No sooner had Mr. Buxton been appointed chairman and chief executive than big
shareholders and quite a few board members began quietly to question his ability to do both jobs at once. Now ,weeks before he is due to move up ,the questions are louder. Many wish the bank had seized the opportunity Lasy April to separate the two top posts. And privately. Some wonder whether Mr. Buxton is the right man for either one. What started as a thoroughly British Whispering Campaign has assumed much bigger dimensions..
2. Mr. Buxton has suffered it all ,but in truth he has no way out. After weeks of talking to shareholders and discussing with his non-executive directors ,he has accepted that Barclays will separate the top jobs sometimes in the future. How7 He says that there has been no formal discussion of it in the boardroom.
3. Formally or informally, it has been agreed that Mr. Buxton will not be moved from his chairmanship, and that Barclays must find a strong chief executive. Opinions differ as to whether this person should be chosen from inside or outside the bank. Several board members believe that there is no ideal candidate inside Barclays.
4. Neither shareholders nor non-executive directors want to wait long. If the right candidate can be found, the bank could combine the announcement of a new appointment with its annual results at the end of March. Mr Buxton stressed the importance
e of getting this next step right, particularly since any appointment will mean overturning a management reorganization that was announced only eight months ago.
. For questions 13- 16 ,choose the correct title for each paragraph from the box below.
. For each paragraph(l-4) mark one letter (A-G) on your Answer Sheet.
. De not mark any letter twice.
13. Paragraph 1 . . . . . . . . . .
14. Paragraph 2 . . . . . . . . . .
l5. Paragraph 3 . . . . . . . . . .
16. Paragraph 4 . . . . . . . . . .
A Problems facing Mr. Buxton
B Proposals for candidates of the chief executive
C Lack of ideal candidate inside Barclays
D Buxton's agreement to give up one of his two top jobs
E Doubts about Buxton's ability for two top jobs
F Anxieties about choosing the right candidates
G Objections to Buxton's ideas
. Using the information in the text ,complete each sentence 17- 20 ,with a phrase from the list below (A-G)
. For each sentence (17-20) mark one letter(A-G) on your Answer Sheet.
. Do not mark any letter twice.
17. Mr. Buxton is persuaded that the bank needs to. . . . . .
18. if they can find the right candidate ,they could. . . . . .
19. Mr..Buxton will retain his chairmanship ,and the bank must. . . . . .
20. At the news of Mr. Buxton's appointment ,many people started to. . . . . .
A combine the news of the appointment with its annual results.
B believe no suitable candidates can be found in the bank.
C question his ability to hold two leading positions.
D find a very able chief executive.
E mean overturning a management reorganization. .
F differ as to the sources for the right candidate.
G separate the two top jobs sometime later.
Questions 21 -35
. Read this text about an Italian car company.
. Choose the best word to fi71 each gap.
. For each question(21 -35) mark one letter (A ,B ,C or D) on yo
ur Answer Sheet.
. One answer has been given as an example.
Gianni Agnelli ,Chairman of Fiat , Italy's largest private industrial corporation ,is known in Italy as the lawyer ,because he trained in law at Turin University. ... ...example......he has never practiced , his training may soon be useful. On April 17th Mr. Agnelli admitted to a group of Italian industrialists in Venice ...... 21...... Fiat had been ...... 22 ...... in some corruptions in Italy. On April 21st, Fiat's lawyers and Cesare Romiti , its managing director , met Milan magistrates to ...... 23 ...... the firm's involvement in bribery to win business from state-owned companies.
Fiat is not the ...... 24 ...... Italian company caught up in Italy's increasing Political corruption scandal. According to the latest figure ,some 200 businessmen and politicians were sitting in prison ... ... 25 ... ... a result of judicial inquiries into kickbacks paid to politicians by firms. Hundreds more are still ... ... influence of Fiat, ......27...... sales are equal to 4/00 of Italy's home product ,the scandal at the company has ... . .. 28 ... ...the industrial establishment.
Though neither Mr. Agnelli ....,. 29 ...... Mr. Romiti has been ...... 30...... of wrongdoing, several other senior Fiat managers have allegedly been involved in paying kickbacks to win state-owned contracts. ...... 31 ...... arrested include Francesco Mattiol , Fiat's finance director , and Antonio Moscon , the ... ... 32 ... ... head of its Toro insurance branch. ... ... 33... ...men have been ... ...34... ... about their previous roles on the board of Cogefar-Impresit, Fiat's construction subsidiary. Last May, Enzo Papi admitted paying a 1.5 million-dollar bribe for a contract , . .. ... 35 ... ... to Milan's underground.
A Though B That C Because D What
21. A what B that C when D if
22. A involved B connected C related D done
23. A talk B say C speak D discuss
24. A one B single C worst D only
25. A as B for C with D after
26. A in B under C at D on
27. A who B which C whose D its
28. A rocked B ruined C damaged D destroyed
29. A or B also C and D nor
30. A accused B charged C criticized D blamed
31. A Who B Those C He D That
32. A old B former C late D last
33.A Either B All C Every D Both
34. A solved B answered C questioned D replied
35. A contracted B related C connected D communicated
本文Tags:商务英语考试 - 模拟试题,,商务英语考试试题,商务英语考试真题,商务英语考试科目,商务英语考试题型